Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Week 1 Recap and Look Ahead

Week 1 is in the books and I just wanted to recap and rant on a few things in College Football this past week.

Nicky Beans predicted that Clemson was indeed a pretender and good job to him for being right on this one. Awful performance from the Tigers and it goes to show that the SEC is still the top conference.

The Big East also looked terrible this past weekend. West Virginia and South Florida had 2 gimme's and handled their business. Previously ranked #25 Pittsburgh shit the bed. Rutgers and Louisville also looked horrendous. It may be a down year in the Big East fellas.

Another game that two Pick Slip contributors (Big Willy and Big Baby Dean) selected correctly was East Carolina over Virginia Tech. East carolina took the lead late in the game by giving Va Tech a taste of their own medicine. I cant wait for the ECU/West Virginia game this weekend. One of the games I am looking forward to this weekend.

I agree with the polls in having USC jump Georgia for the new #1. USC looked very good this past weekend vs a crappy Virginia team. Their real test will come on Saturday September 13th as Ohio State comes to town.

This Labor Day weekend ended with an exciting game Tennessee and UCLA. I still cant believe Tennesse blew this game after UCLA 3rd string QB Kevin Craft threw 4 int's in the first half. I know I learned my lesson now with Tennesse. Be careful when picking them when they play outside of Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn.

Now on to a little rant.....How awful is the new play-clock rule in college football??? They need to change this immediately. The clock runs so fast in the 4th quarter and I did not enjoy it from any of the games I watched. I also feel like it will bring down the scoring in some of these games. The NCAA has been changing this rule the past 2 years and I hope they change it again very soon.

On to week 2 in college football...When I first looked at the lines, I didn't see many games that caught my eye. Although I am working on my picks, I don't know how big of a slip I will have this week. Since the books got hammered this past week, the lines are very large this week. But don't worry, the NFL kicks off this Thursday with the Giants and the Redskins and then a full slate of games on Sunday. I'll be sure to have some good picks for the NFL.

Before I sign off for the day, I hope you enjoyed our first segment of picks this past week. Almost all of our contributors finished in the GREEN this past week. 'The Ticket' is the only one that did not but I am looking for a rebound this week from him. It had to happen to one of us. The Pick Slip as a whole finished +15.7 units and I hope many of you were on the right side with us.

Stay tuned for our picks this week and continue to HAMMER the BOOKS!!!

No comments: