Friday, October 3, 2008

Big Baby Dean's PickSlip for 10/3

It was a crazy opening month here at The Pick Slip and each of our contributors had their ups and downs. Those who know me personally know that I love to brag. Well, now is my first time to brag at the Pick Slip. I got off to a slow start in picking games this season. However, has anyone been following the last few weeks??? I hope at least one other person was tailing my picks! For those who haven't Big Baby Dean is currently on a 17-1-1 hot streak in both NCAA and NFL. I am up 28.5 units right now and loving it. With one more win I will tie the New England Patriots record from last year. Hopefully mine will end much better than theirs did. With all that said, be careful of my picks this week because when I talk shit like this, I usually set myself up to FAIL! Not only that, but we are in week 6 of NCAA and week 5 of the NFL and the oddsmakers have a lot of statistics and data to really set the lines to make it hard to pick winners.

The first month of the season is now over and with a lot of game film and stats, Big Baby Dean has enough to dissect almost every team in the country. I know I have some favorite conferences and teams to watch this year, while other conferences are struggling. The trick is to know when to ride the hot team and when to get off of them before they lose.

Onto the NCAA picks for the week...

2* Iowa @ Michigan State (-6.5) 12PM ET
If you have been following my picks, you will know that I have been all over the Spartans the last few weeks. It looks like I caught them at the right time. Hopefully they can cover at least one more week for me. I liked this line at -9.5 earlier in the week and now thanks to DR Bob picking Iowa it dropped down to -6.5. As a result, I am only putting 2 units on this game because I don't like the drastic line move. Hopefully after this week, people will be tailing Big Baby Dean and as soon as I release my plays the lines will drop with all the money going on the side I pick! Iowa will be focused on stopping Javon Ringer, so hopefully Michigan State will put a few playaction passes in to keep them honest. Other than that, keep feeding Javon Ringer the ball and he will lead MSU to victory.
Pick: Michigan State (-6.5)

3* Maryland (-13.5) @ Virginia 7PM ET
Maryland has caught Big Baby Dean's eyes the last few weeks. They are on a 3 game win streak and have upset two Top 20 teams (California and Clemson). The reason why I am not afraid to lay 2 td's on the road in this ACC matchup is because they are playing the doormats of the ACC. Virginia got smoked by Duke last week 31-3. Wait a second...go back and read that last sentence. Maryland should have an easy time with this one. Pick: Maryland (-13.5)

Earlier in the week I had circled a bunch more games, but after going back over them tonight I do not feel as confident in them. The oddsmakers have gotten better and it is tough to find which games they leave for you to exploit. For instance, here is a game that I liked earlier in the week but have decided not to pick:

When looking over the Michigan-Illinois game, I circled Illinois. Now after a few days have passed and reading more information about this game and seeing the line stay at 2, I think this line is fishy. From what I gather, Illinois looks like the trendy dog pick this week and the line hasn't moved at all. Even though I like Illinois in this game, something is telling me to stay away. Be careful if playing this game.


Don't force any picks on Saturday to try and win money back quickly. Let the games come to you. There is still a lot of season (and bowl season) left.

Check back tomorrow night for my NFL Picks.

No comments: